For more tourism information, please click here to visit the Fort Scott Department of Tourism website.
FORT SCOTT HISTORIC TROLLEY TOURS
Trolley tours of the historic buildings and sites in Fort Scott are available at the Chamber of Commerce building, 231 E Wall, Fort Scott. For Trolley times, please click here.
1. VISITOR INFORMATION CENTER: (1978)
Local and regional travel information, maps, brochures and souvenirs. Trolley tours as scheduled. Call 1-800-245-FORT.
2. FORT SCOTT NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE: (1978)
This restored frontier military fort (1842-53) features 20 historic structures, 33 historically-furnished rooms, museum exhibits, bookstore and scheduled interpretive activities. Open daily except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. 1-620-223-0310.
3. SCALE HOUSE:
(1987) Half sized replica of a building constructed in 1910 which covered part of the city scales.
4. 20TH CENTURY VETERANS MEMORIAL:
(1990) Dedicated to all veterans who served their country with honor in the U.S. Armed Forces during the 20th century. Dedicated July 4, 1990.
5. LUNETTE BLAIR:
(1959) Relocated replica of Civil War blockhouse that was part of the fortifications surrounding Fort Scott between 1863-1865. After the war, the original block house was sold for $50 and used as a carpenter shop and stable and moved several times.
6. TWIN TREES MONUMENT:
(1965) Dedicated to the civil and military conflicts which occurred in Kansas before and during the Civil War.
7. STOUT BUILDING:
(1912) Farm implements and automobiles were sold here at various times: mowers, spreaders, binders, buggies, carriages and wagons; Cadillacs, Jeffries, Reos and Ford automobiles.
10. EAGLE BLOCK:
(1888) 10-14 N. National. Built of brick and sandstone for $22,000, building was once recognized by an enormous gilded eagle displayed on the roof. It housed many retail stores such as a bakery, confectionery, saddle and harness shop and dry goods store.
11. HAMMONS REALTY:
(1890) 5 N. National. Eastlake Victorian architecture featuring intricate ornamentation, flattened arches, clustered windows and embossed/raised surfaces.
12. MILROSE BLOCK:
(1890) 1-9 E. Wall. Renamed by Charles Miller for wife Rose who used to have card parties in a rooftop gazebo. On hot nights, apartment residents from the upper floor would sleep on mattresses on the roof under the stars.
13. MICROWAVE TOWER:
(1989) Built by Southwestern Bell; designed with Romanesque arches to enhance the city's historic skyline.
14. GROSS INSURANCE AGENCY:
(est. 1913) One of the oldest existing insurance agencies in Fort Scott.
15. STOUT GAS COMPANY:
(1924) Site of Union Oil Co. gas station which sold 2,500 gallons of gasoline on opening day, June 28, 1924.
16. GREAT WEST LIFE & ANNUITY:
(1925) 2801 Horton Street. From 1925 - 1990, building housed the Safeco Insurance Company and former Western Insurance Company. Building facade includes fluted half columns with Corinthian Capitals.
17. POST OFFICE:
(1936) Former district courtroom contains a mural entitled "Border Gateways" by Oscar E. Berninghaus of Taos, New Mexico.
18. ST. ANDREWS EPISCOPAL CHURCH:
(1903) Lovely Gothic church with stained glass windows. When open, visitors are welcome.
19. BOURBON COUNTY COURTHOUSE:
(1930) Replaced the old courthouse which was destroyed by fire, January, 1929. War memorials on front lawn.
20. FORT SCOTT PUBLIC LIBRARY:
(1901) Built between 1901 - 1904 with $18,000 gift from industrialist Andrew Carnegie. Placed on National Register of Historic Places, 1987.
21. MEMORIAL HALL:
(1925) Community hall housing city offices. Dedicated to memory of World War I veterans. Note military insignias near top of columns.
22. FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH:
(1906) Neo-classical church constructed of Indiana limestone for $41,500.
(1866) According to his friends, W.A. Cormany's shanty at this intersection was so far out of town, he could "stand on his back porch and shoot prairie chickens."
24. JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL:
(1918) Built as a combined elementary and Junior high school for $91,000. New middle school is located at 12th and Shepherd.
25. OLD CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH:
(1873) Only remaining single steepled church. Owned and restored by The Historic Preservation Association. Genealogy research room. Open as scheduled.
26. HERBERT HOME:
(1887) 512 S. Judson. Classic Queen Anne style. Granite pillars, porches, balconies and stained, etched, beveled and patterned glass windows.
27. MARTIN HOME:
(1873) 524 S. Main. Georgian revival with Corinthian capitals. Former parsonage, Old Congregational Church.
28. SCHULTZ & PAINE BUILDING:
(1889) 6th and Main. Albert Bigelow Paine, portrait painter, author and poet, lived and worked here in 1889.
29. MCDONALD HOME:
(1866) 512 S. Main. Simple Greek revival; brick with pointed-arch lintels and oval-glazed front door.
30. FARNSWORTH HOME:
(1883-85) 501 S. Main. Neo-classical brick with wrap-around porch, fluted and tapered square columns.
31. CHENEY-WITT MEMORIAL CHAPEL:
(1914) 201 S. Main. Originally housed clothing manufacturer and became Cheney's Chapel funeral home in 1942.
32. OLD FIRE STATION:
(1891-1994) 111 Scott Avenue. The early bucket brigade volunteer fire department consisted of the Hi-Ho Hook and Ladder Company and Champion Fire Company. The department was motorized in 1915 when fire trucks replaced horse-drawn vehicles. The building is currently leased by the city to Geneva & Sons Monument Company.
33. MOODY BUILDING:
(1888) 124 S. Main. Placed on The National Register of Historic Places in 1977. Housed commercial stores, professional offices and apartments.
34. MAGUIRES MEAT MARKET:
(1889) 120 S. Main. Housed grocery stores, meat markets, appliance stores. Smokehouse for curing meat is in basement.
35. HENRY BUILDING:
(1906) 118 S. Main. Contained various commercial and retail stores.
36. RALPH RICHARDS MUSEUM:
(1900) 119 S. Main. Contains exhibits from Fort Scott and Bourbon County. Enjoy a seven-room Victorian residence. Owned and operated by The Historic Preservation Association of Bourbon County, Inc. Open as scheduled.
37. SCOTTISH RITE TEMPLE:
(1923-26) 102-116 S. Main. Constructed for $600,000, this Masonic temple was dedicated November 15, 1926. Second floor features 526-seat auditorium. Third floor had a 1,200-chair banquet room.
38. UNION BLOCK:
(1884) 18-24 S. Main. Professional and retail building; had a grand ballroom on the third floor. Listed on The National Register of Historic Places.
39. VAN FOSSEN AND WILCOX BUILDING:
(1886) 21-23 S. Main. Constructed for $30,000 as a professional and retail building. Blue Lodge Masonic Hall occupied a third-floor addition. Building also housed Calhoun's and J.C. Penney Stores.
40. MCDONALD HALL:
(1865-70) 6-12 S. Main. Early commercial building; street floor contained bank, grocery, drug and clothing stores. Second floor used as theatrical hall in 1870. Admission, 50 cents. Reserved seats, 75 cents.
41. WILDER HOUSE HOTEL:
(1863) 2 S. Main. City's first brick building and one of two oldest buildings on Main Street. Described as a "resort for Army officers during Civil War," by C.W. Goodlander.
42. MILLER BLOCK:
(1863) 1 S. Main. Constructed of native limestone for Dr. Jonathan G. Miller by C.W. Goodlander. One of two oldest buildings on Main Street. Retail, professional building. The Miller Block was destroyed by fire in March 2005.
43. BUSH INTERSECTION:
Fort Scott's main intersection where wagon trains and street cars passed.
44. HORNADAY BUILDING:
(1874-75) 2 N. Main. Davidson Theater from 1874 - 1915. Minstrel shows, vaudeville and theatrical plays featured. Admission: Parquette, $1, Dress Circle, 75 cents. Balcony, 50 cents, Gallery, 25 cents.
45. LIEPMAN CLOTHING HOUSE:
(1896) 12 N. Main. A clothing emporium from 1896-1930's Intricate tin ceilings and original staircase still intact.
46. BACHMANN'S ICE CREAM PARLOR:
(1916-1941) 16 N. Main. Confectionery and soda fountain of Franz Bachmann who created delicious candy and ice cream.