CDBG-CV Grant Program
The City of Fort Scott CDBG-CV Grant Program Application opens Wednesday, June 23 at 8:00AM.
Your application will NOT be considered until all required information has been received.
Recipients of the CDBG Emergency Response Program are NOT eligible for the CDBG-CV Grant Program.
Q: I rent a booth space within a salon, am I eligible to apply?
A: Any business with a valid EIN may qualify.
Q: How does a self employed individual justify lost income due to COVID?
A: It is based on the previous 12 months from the date they submit a job certification form. So they will need to account for the losses due to COVID-19. The individual should know whether he/she has worked or not during the time and can justify it that way.
Q: What is a Tax ID/EIN?
A: The Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as the Federal Employer Identification Number or the Federal Tax Identification Number, is a unique nine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service to business entities operating in the United States for the purposes of identification.
Q: What is a DUNS number? Am I required to have one for this program?
Yes, you are required to have a DUNS number to be eligible for this program. The Data Universal Numbering System, abbreviated as DUNS or D-U-N-S, is a proprietary system that assigns a unique numeric identifier, referred to as a "DUNS number" to a single business entity.
Q: If my business has any tax liability with Bourbon County, The State of Kansas, or the IRS will this disqualify me from receiving funds?
A: If a business has any tax liability they are not eligible for this program.
Q: Who should I submit Job Certification Forms for?
A: If a is considered a Micro Business with (1-5) employees, the owner may submit a form. If LMI requirements are met, no other forms must be submitted. If the owner does not meet LMI requirements, then forms will be required for ALL retained employees.
With a business of (6-50) employees, the owner is not counted toward LMI. Therefore a form will be required for ALL retained employees.
Q: Can these funds be used to facilitate the sale of a business?
A: No, these funds cannot be used to sell a business.
CITY OF FORT SCOTT CDBG-CV Grants - Program Parameters
This is the guiding document for the grant program being offered by The City of Fort Scott. It sets the parameters for who is eligible, how to apply, funding limits, and minimum required documentation. The grants will be awarded on a first come first serve basis to those that are eligible and approved by the City Commission. As owner/operators and self-employed individuals did not qualify for the previous round of CDBG Emergency Funding, they will be given priority for this program. These individuals must submit their completed application before July 23rd, 2020 in order to receive precedence in application processing. Other businesses may still submit applications during this time frame, these applications will be held until July 24th before processing. All completed applications will be time stamped and logged upon receipt to ensure they are processed in order of submission. An application will not be considered complete until all required documentation has been received. All required documentation is listed on the Business Application Checklist. The grants will be awarded until all funds have been expended or June 15, 2021, whichever occurs first.
Who Is Eligible
- Businesses located within the City limits
- The business must have no more than 50 employees and can be as small as one employee
- Sole proprietors, owner/operators, & self-employed with a valid Tax ID/EIN
- No less than 51% of the jobs impacted must meet Low to Moderate Income Levels
- Grants are for COVID 19 related hardship only
Who is not eligible?
- New Businesses or Services (Opened after March 1, 2020)
- Businesses with any local, state, or federal tax liability
- Sales Consultants (i.e. Mary Kay Sales Consultant, Tupperware Sales Consultant, etc.)
- Government, government employee households
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted by the City of Fort Scott.
The contact information is:
City of Fort Scott CDBG-CV
Attn: Allyson Turvey
123 S. Main St.
Fort Scott, KS 66701
Application forms may be downloaded online at http://fscity.org/353/CDBG-CV. Hard Copy applications will be available at the front desk of City Hall. Questions regarding applications should be directed to Allyson Turvey, via email at email@example.com, or by phone at (620) 223-0550.
An application will only be considered once it is fully completed with all requested documentation required to support the requested funding.
Minimum Required Documentation
- Completed Application Form
- Supplement to Application
- Letter of statement that hardship has been caused by COVID 19
- Job Certification from ALL retained employees
- Most recent tax return for self-employed applicants
- Payroll Report if more than one employee
- Invoices of expenses to be covered by this grant
The city reserves the right to request additional documentation
- Grants may be considered for working capital expenses.
- Working Capital is defined as staff salaries and wages, purchase of inventory, utilities, rent, insurance payments, etc.
- Only 60 days of working capital related to inventory will be accepted.
- There may be no duplication of benefits. For instance, a business which has already received funding from the Payroll Protection Program (PPP), may still qualify. However, funds cannot be used for the same need as was utilized under the PPP program.
- Funds can only be used for qualified working capital expenses incurred during a 60-day period beginning after March 1, 2020.
- Maximum Grant
- Up to $10,000 per business (Awards will be allocated based on the number or retained employees.)
Award Allocation Matrix
- A complete application must be submitted to Ms. Turvey in electronic or paper form.
- Additional information may be requested for clarification.
- City employees will review application and make a recommendation to the City Commission.
- The City Commission will approve/decline/adjust request at a regularly scheduled public meeting.
- The City will issue a check for approved expenditures.